Thursday, March 8, 2012

Picking Quilt Fabrics


Picking out fabrics for a new project is one of the most creative steps and one of my favorite parts. As I look at different possibilities of fabrics and colors I try to imagine what each will look like in the finished quilt. How will the colors, values, etc. play off each other to help the quilt come alive? Quilts are like a piece of art where the fabrics are the artist's paints so things like composition come into play. I do not have an art degree but with an artistic husband who has an eye for design and many friends who are artists, I have learned a thing or two along the way. I can't always tell you why something works but I can usually tell what I like. So I try to keep playing with fabrics and layouts until something 'sings' then I just try to trust my gut. It is a little risky but in some ways all art is.

With all that said I recently picked out fabrics for two new quilts. The first picture is some charms squares cut out of blue fabrics from my stash with a little bit of yellow thrown in. I'm trying something new so we will see how it turns out.


This second bigger stack of fat quarters is for a commissioned quilt. I'm so excited to make it but I am still a little unsure about the fabric placement. I think I need a little more time to play with them or maybe a second opinion. It is a design I've never used so it is harder for me to visualize the finished quilt and I think that is part of my hesitation. I have loved the Swoon Quilt pattern from Thimble Blossoms ever since seeing it. It is so gorgeous. This is the first time I have purchased a quilt pattern to try. I have used tutorials and free patterns online. The blog community is so generous. I have also sketched my own ideas and sort of made my own patterns for different baby and toddler size quilts. I am really looking forward to making this quilt and of course I loved picking out fabrics to use. Any excuse to buy new fabric is good in my book. I will keep you updated on my progress with both of these projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment