Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby Quilt: Pink and Brown



Here is another quilt I made recently. I wanted to try out something a little different so I just sort of went for it. First I cut up all the squares using fabric I had in my stash. Then I laid out the squares before I started sewing them together just to make sure the overall flow of lighter and darker prints was even throughout the whole quilt. I originally planned to use a brown solid for the sashing but once the blocks were completed it seemed like the dark chocolate brown would be too dark and overwhelm the squares. Instead I decided to sash them all in a solid pink flannel, which came from a receiving blanket.



I saved the brown and used it on the back. I have always wanted to try a pieced back and since I did not have quite enough brown this was a perfect opportunity. I had cut a few extra squares for the front to give me options when I was laying out the quilt so I just cut those in half and sewed them all together to fit across the quilt.

For the binding I used a bit of two prints from Anna Maria Horner's Chocolate Lollipop line which made an appearance in the squares. They are the same print but in different colorways so it worked well. It is not something you would notice right away but I think it gives the quilt more interest as you look closer. Overall I'm really happy with it.



For the quilting I did cross-hatching through all the squares and also added a few straight lines on the sashing. I really like how the quilting shows up on the brown backing. I feel like I learned so much making this quilt. It was my first attempt at making a quilt with absolutely no pattern for reference which was intimidating but really fun. I already have a few more complex designs that I'm working on both in my head and on paper. This quilt measures 40 inches by 47 inches and is up in the shop if you're interested in it, check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment