Here is another quilt I made recently. I wanted to try out something a little different so I just sort of went for it. First I cut up all the squares using fabric I had in my stash. Then I laid out the squares before I started sewing them together just to make sure the overall flow of lighter and darker prints was even throughout the whole quilt. I originally planned to use a brown solid for the sashing but once the blocks were completed it seemed like the dark chocolate brown would be too dark and overwhelm the squares. Instead I decided to sash them all in a solid pink flannel, which came from a receiving blanket.
For the quilting I did cross-hatching through all the squares and also added a few straight lines on the sashing. I really like how the quilting shows up on the brown backing. I feel like I learned so much making this quilt. It was my first attempt at making a quilt with absolutely no pattern for reference which was intimidating but really fun. I already have a few more complex designs that I'm working on both in my head and on paper. This quilt measures 40 inches by 47 inches and is up in the shop if you're interested in it, check it out here.