Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ravenclaw Mug Rug


A mug rug is a little quilt between the size of a coaster and a placemat. Perfect for coffee and a muffin or milk and cookies. I've been thinking they would be fun to make for a few reasons. First they would be a quick project since they are so little. Second, I could use up scraps and bits of favorite fabrics I have laying around. And finally, they would give me a chance to try new quilting techniques. Trying out a new pattern or quilting style on a large quilt is sort of scary. I worry about ruining fabrics or just plain making a mess of a project. However, with a mug rug at worst I would have to scrap a little 6 inch by 10 inch quilt: definitely not as intimidating.


When our dear friend, Frankie, turned 30 this August we wanted to make him something unique and special. He is a huge Harry Potter fan and he is a Ravenclaw. If you read the books or have seen the movies you know what that means, if not just know that Ravenclaw's colors are blue and bronze. So I decided to make him a little Ravenclaw mug rug for his desk at work. I went with a classic stripe for the front. Then used the bronze for the backing and blue for the binding. It includes a thin piece of natural batting and is quilted in straight lines with blue thread. You really notice the quilting when you look at the back. I really like the effect of the blue quilting on the bronze fabric. 


After giving Frankie his gift I had enough fabric left over to make another Ravenclaw Mug Rug. If you are interested you can find it here in the shop

No comments:

Post a Comment