Monday, September 19, 2011

Triangles and Free Motion Quilting


I like to try new things. As I mentioned here, I think that mug rugs are a fun way to try out new quilting techniques. I've had a similar design in mind for a quilt since I've seen so many amazing ones online. This was one of my favorites. It is wonderful in so many ways but a quilt that size in those little triangles was a little too much for me.

I have never tried quilting and piecing with triangles before. It just seemed so intimidating. Choosing the fabrics was a fun way to start. I decided on bright blues balanced with a linen colored solid. I really like the backing fabric, which is the color inspiration for the front. Then I just started cutting and sewing and before long I had this little mug rug. The binding is a brown solid I made from some scraps I had.


When I was thinking of how to quilt it I figured why not try some free motion quilting. This pattern is common and I basically tried to get even spacing on the stitches and not overlap any of the quilting lines. It was so fun. I am definitely going to do more free motion quilting. I love how this one turned out and with practice it will get even better.


So this time around I learned that practice is good when it comes to free motion quilting. And like every quilter will tell you, squaring up your blocks is really important. Next time I will also take the time to really set my seams better with the iron so that my corners hopefully will match up a little better.

If you'd like more info on this mug rug you can see more over here in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment