Recipe for Banana Fosters Bread
Adapted from the Basic Banana Bread recipe from the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 5 medium)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Rum Drizzle Ingredients:
1 tablespoon rum
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X5X3 inch bread pan.
2. Mash the bananas and combine with rum, butter, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a pan on the stove. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted and all the ingredients are well combined.
3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl or mixer. Add the other 1/2 cup brown sugar. Pour in the banana mixture and combine.
4. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. When finished make a well in the flour mixture.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the well made in your flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula just until combined.
6. Add chopped nuts if you want and fold gently into dough.
7. Pour dough into pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the bread.
9. Meanwhile, combine rum, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to make the frosting. I like to make mine a bit thicker by added a touch more powdered sugar. This way it will not all run off the bread.
10. Place bread on a plate and pour frosting over the top. You can serve immediately or once the frosting is set, wrap in plastic wrap for later.
Tips for a great bread.
- Use plenty of bananas. If you error on the side of fewer bananas your bread will be a bit dry. However, if you add an extra half a banana your bread will be moist and have lots of banana flavor.
- To mash my bananas I simply peel, lay them of a plate, and use a large fork to mash them up.
- Do NOT over mix your bread when you combine the dry and wet ingredients. Over mixing will make your bread tough and dry.
- If you prefer you can make use two 7 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 2 inch pans. Only bake them for about 40 minutes.